The Big Idea weekly challenges are here!
Each week, we’ll release a set of Big Idea challenge cards. These are enjoyable, purposeful tasks that children can do independently or with family members while learning from home.
The challenges are linked to the Cornerstones Curriculum 10 Big Ideas, which are global concepts and themes that thread throughout our curriculum. The 10 Big Ideas are Humankind, Nature, Processes, Significance, Comparison, Place, Investigation, Materials, Creativity and Change.
How to use them
We’ll release a new set of 12 challenges each week, centred around one of the Big Ideas. The first set is focused on the Big Idea of Humankind – what makes us human, the human body, emotions, how we interconnect, and so on.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The challenges are for Reception to Year 2 and for Year 3 to Year 6, but this is just a guide – you’ll know your children best.
- Each challenge is designed to last between 30 minutes to an hour.
- Download the challenges from this blog – see below. We’ll release each set of challenges on a Friday, ready to use the following week.
- If you are a teacher, simply upload the challenges to your home learning platform or share via email or social media as a screenshot.
- Choose at least one challenge every day.
- Share your achievements with us! We’re on Twitter @Cornerstonesedu, Instagram @cornerstonesedu or Facebook.
Download your Big Idea weekly challenges here
Friday 27th March
Humankind – Reception to Year 2 challenges
Humankind – Year 3 to Year 6 challenges
Friday 3rd April
Processes – Reception to Year 2 challenges
Processes – Year 3 to Year 6 challenges
Wednesday 8th April
Creativity – Reception to Year 2 challenges
Creativity – Year 3 to Year 6 challenges
Friday 17th April
Investigation – Reception to Year 2 challenges
Investigation – Year 3 to Year 6 challenges
Friday 24th April
Materials – Reception to Year 2 challenges
Materials – Year 3 to Year 6 challenges
Friday 1st May
Nature – Reception to Year 2 challenges
Nature – Year 3 to Year 6 challenges
Thursday 7th May
Place – Reception to Year 2 challenges
Place – Year 3 to Year 6 challenges
Friday 15th May
Comparison – Reception to Year 2 challenges
Comparison – Year 3 to Year 6 challenges
Friday 22nd May
Significance – Reception to Year 2 challenges
Significance – Year 3 to Year 6 challenges
Friday 29th May
Change – Reception to Year 2 challenges
Change – Year 3 to Year 6 challenges
Want to find out more about Big Ideas in curriculum design?
Click here to listen to our podcast on Big Ideas in primary curriculum design
Click here to read an article based on the Big Ideas podcast
Interested in how we help primary schools?
Find out about the Cornerstones Curriculum and our innovative workload-saving platform, Curriculum Maestro
Book a free demo with a curriculum adviser (schools only)