With children's spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development and fundamental British values (FBV) being required to be at the heart of a school’s work, we've developed SMSC and FBV subject-leader checklists to help schools using the Cornerstones Curriculum identify and evidence opportunities for both.
A school may decide to audit one subject at a time or all subjects depending on their curriculum priorities.
How to use the checklists
- Log on to The Hub and go to the SMSC & FBV area in ‘Supporting Documents and Products'.
- Click on the SMSC & FBV icon and scroll down to find the individual ‘Subject-leader checklists’ or the ‘Whole school audit booklet’.
- Decide if you want to do a whole school audit (all subjects at once) or a single subject (auditing one subject at a time).
- Click to download the appropriate documents, then print and copy, one for each year group.
- Each year group should look at the statements in the ‘Do children…' columns on the subject sheets and make a judgement as to whether this aspect of SMSC or FBV is evident in their teaching.
- For each bullet point, teachers should write a comment, give an example, or attach evidence such as photographs, pieces of children's of work or children's comments. A column is provided on the right-hand side for referencing these.
- If staff think that a statement is inappropriate or not covered in their year group, it can be crossed out.
- Once completed, documents can be passed to SLT to collate and analyse the results.
You don't need to complete all subject sheets at once; you can do them over time depending on which subject is a curriculum focus or priority.
Keep your checklists and evidence together in a file ready for inspection. You can also use the information to write an SMSC and FBV action plan if required.
In addition to the subject-leader checklists, we have also uploaded SMSC and FBV coverage grids, to help you identify how each of your chosen ILPs covers SMSC and FBV.